Matthew C. Scarfone, a Senior Associate in the Colodny Fass Litigation Division, focuses his practice on insurance defense and complex commercial matters.
As a litigator, he has experience in both jury and bench trials, as well as appeals.
He handles a variety of insurance matters, including first-party property insurance litigation, liability insurance coverage opinions, bad faith, and fraud investigations. He has substantial experience representing insurance carriers in sinkhole litigation and other property insurance matters throughout the state. He also regularly represents insurance industry trade groups as amici curiae in appeals involving important issues affecting the insurance industry.
Mr. Scarfone also represents corporate clients and individuals in a variety of commercial matters, from standard breach of contract matters to complex corporate disputes.
As a member of Colodny Fass’ Employment Law team, he handles wage and hour claims, Title VII, wrongful termination, whistleblower claims and related matters, and advises clients on compliance issues and best practices.
A member of the Florida Bar and also licensed in the State of Michigan, Mr. Scarfone is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida. He is also certified by the Florida Division of Insurance Agent and Agency Services as a Continuing Education Instructor in Adjuster Law and Policy.
Mr. Scarfone earned his Juris Doctor, summa cum laude from the Michigan State University College of Law.
He is a native of the Detroit, Michigan area.
- Insurance Defense
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 2010, summa cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies in Social Science – Law and Society, with an Economics Cognate, 2007
- Spicer v. Tenet Florida Physician Services, LLC, 149 So. 3d 163 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014)
- Olympus Ins. Co. v. Hernandez, — So. 3d —, 2015 WL 4936474 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015)
- Florida Insurance Fraud Education Conference; 2015
- Florida State of the Insurance Market Summit “How to Manage Employee Whistleblower Claims Alleging Unfair Claims and/or Trade Practices”; 2014
Recently Published Articles
- Quoted in “Attorneys React To U.S. Department of Labor Misclassification Guidance”; Law360.com; July 16, 2015
- “Workers’ Comp Appeals Could Feed Rate Hikes” by Wes Strickland and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, December 8, 2014
- Nonstacking UM Election Applies to All Insureds Under the Policy“ by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, November 4, 2014
- “First DCA to weigh limits to PIP reimbursement” by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, May 22, 2013
- “Courts leave insurers with PIP repayment uncertainty“ by Maria Elena Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, April 6, 2012
- “3rd, 4th DCAs hold insurer may limit PIP reimbursements” by Maria E. Abate and Matthew C. Scarfone; Daily Business Review, December 16, 2011