A bill that would create a new section of law dealing with insurance assignment of benefits was filed today by Florida Senator Dorothy Hukill and co-introduced by Senator Kathleen Passidomo.
Among its provisions, SB 62 would prohibit certain awards of attorney fees to certain persons or entities in suits based on claims arising under property insurance policies, and require an assignee to meet certain requirements as a condition precedent to filing suit under a policy.
To go directly to the bill text, click here.
A list of resources and presentations from the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation AOB Web Page is partially reprinted below.
Should you have any questions or comments, please contact Colodny Fass.
Projected Homeowners Insurance (HO-3) Rate Increases: 2017 – 2022
- To see how much homeowners insurance rates (HO-3) are projected to increase in your Florida County over the next five years without AOB reform, click here
- April 19, 2017 – “Assignment of Benefits (AOB)” by Commissioner Altmaier to the House Commerce Committee (video)
- April 3, 2017 – “Assignment of Benefits (AOB)” by Commissioner Altmaier to the Senate Banking & Insurance Committee (video)
- February 7, 2017 – “The Florida Property Insurance Market and Assignment of Benefits (AOB)” Cabinet Presentation (video)
- January 10, 2017 – “The Florida Property Insurance Market” by Commissioner Altmaier to the Senate Banking & Insurance Committee (video)
- December 6, 2016 – Florida Cabinet presentation by Commissioner Altmaier presentation (video)
- September 20, 2016 – Florida Cabinet presentation by Commissioner Altmaier presentation (video)
- June 14, 2016 – DFS/Insurance Consumer Advocate’s Office “Troubled Waters: Water Loss Crisis Forum” (Part 1 video, Part 2 video)
- Office of Insurance Regulation “Assignment of Benefits Data Call Report” Press Release,Report (released February 8, 2016)
- Office Statement – April 26, 2017 – “Statement from Commissioner David Altmaier on the Passage of HB 1421 Out of the House of Representatives”
- Department of Financial Services – “Assignment of Benefits”
Related News Articles:
- 4/26/2017 – Florida Politics: Florida House Approves Assignment of Benefits Reform Legislation
- 4/26/2017 – Florida Regulator Applauds House Passage of Assignment-of-Benefits Reform
- 3/20/2017 – Florida Politics: Maria Wells: Assignment of Benefits – A Growing Problem for Florida Families
- 3/15/2017 – SaintPetersBlog: Wall Street Journal Op-Ed Highlights Assignment of Benefits Abuse
- 3/14/2017 – Wall Street Journal: Florida’s Trial Bar Hurricane
- 3/14/2017 – Best’s News Service: Florida Bill on Assignment of Benefits Retains Attorneys’ Ability to Collect Fees
- 3/14/2017 – SaintPetersBlog: William Large: Florida Must End Assignment of Benefits Abuse, Self-Serving Windfalls
- 3/10/2017 – Sun Sentinel: Blaming Claims Abuses, Property Insurers Seek Steep Rate Increases in South Florida
- 3/5/2017 – Florida Record: Florida Justice Reform Institute President: AOBs are Problematic to Insurance Policyholders, Insurance Companies
- 3/2/2017 – Sun Sentinel Op-Ed: Policyholders Pay for Assignment of Benefit Abuse
- 3/1/2017 – Sun Sentinel: Attorney’s Fees Protected in Rival Insurance Claims Reform Bill
- 2/28/2017 – Insurance Journal: First Florida Bill Addressing AOB Introduced for 2017 Session
- 2/28/2017 – Best’s News Service: Florida Senator Introduces Bill to Address Assignment of Benefits Abuse
- 2/23/2017 – Orlando Sentinel Op-Ed: Insurance Losses Demand Action from State Lawmakers: Where We Stand
- 2/16/2017 – Tampa Bay Times Editorial: Water Claims Spell Trouble for Property Ins Market
- 2/15/2017 – Insurance Journal: Heat is On Florida Lawmakers to Fix Assignment of Benefits Crisis
- 2/15/2017 – Florida Politics: Drive for Assignment of Benefits Reform Picks Up Steam
- 2/13/2017 – Florida Record: Florida Justice Reform Institute Calls for AOB Changes
- 2/9/2017 – Insurance Journal: Florida’s AOB Abuse by the Numbers: ‘Alarming Trend’ Reaches Crisis Point
- 2/7/2017 – Florida Politics: Insurance Office Going After One-Way Attorney Fees in AOB Fight
- 2/7/2017 – Palm Beach Post: Altmaier Pitches Insurance Reforms to Cabinet
- 2/2/2017– Miami Herald: South Florida’s Leaky Pipe Problem Poses Risk to Homeowners Insurance
- 2/2/2017 – Florida Politics: Jeff Atwater Delivers Frank Advice at Chamber’s Insurance Summit
- 1/11/2017 – Florida Politics: House Panel Stages Civilized Discussion of Assignment of Benefits Reform
- 1/10/2017– WFSU: FL Insurance Commissioner Weighs In On Water Loss Claims, Assignment of Benefits
- 1/10/2017 – News Service of Florida (c/o News 4 Jax): Debate Heats Up Over Property Insurance Claims
- 12/13/2016 – Insurance Journal: Top Florida Stories of 2016: The AOB “Insurance Crisis”
- 12/7/2016 – CBS Miami: Water Claims Could Lead to More Citizens Policies
- 10/25/2016 – Florida Politics: David Altmaier Outlines Legislative Priorities at Insurance Conference
- 10/7/2016 – Tampa Bay Times: Why Are Citizens Property Insurance Policyholders Statewide Paying for a ‘Water Claims’ Crisis in South Florida?